Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Gas shortage questions should've been asked years ago

Gas Shortage Takes A Toll On Drivers In The South
Money quote:
The right to the pursuit of happiness is an American birthright, but how can we pursue happiness without a full tank of gas? I need gas to drive to the movies, get away for the weekend, or patronize my favorite restaurant.

Without a full tank of gas I'm less of a man; I'm a prisoner restricted to amusements that are within walking distance.

It's unnerving to drive by gas stations with signs indicating that they are out of gas. I know that this is a temporary situation, but it's scary because I realize I may be getting a taste of the near future. If there's a gas shortage in some states because a few refineries shut down due to Hurricane Ike, what in God's name will happen if terrorists destroy the Saudi oil installations or if the Arab states stop selling us gas if Israel attacks Iran?

We're a bunch of naive, stupid gits easily distracted by our shiny TVs.