Thursday, July 7, 2011

My Most Recent Metabolic Screening Results

Over the last 6 months - a year, I've been changing my habits.

The changes:
  • To the 3 days of weight lifting, I've added 2 days of cardio
  • I consume 1 tablespoon of Omega 3 fatty acids daily.
  • I consume 4000 I.U. of Vitamin D during the winter and slowly adjust with my exposure to the sun
  • I consume 1200 mg of Calcium
  • I have a standing desk at work
  • I've significantly reduced my gluten intake
  • I've replaced my consumption of diet cola for tea sweetened with stevia
The qualitative results:
  • I've gotten sick only once, wherein I recovered fully in 3 days, and happened after a two week lapse in taking my Omega 3 fatty acids, Vitamin D, and Calcium supplements.
  • I've been snoring less, and not at all the last week.
  • I feel really good, aware, and much better rested.
The quantitative results:
 
Test
2010 Results
2011 Results
2010 Category
2011 Category
Total Cholesterol
175
149
Desirable
Desirable
HDL
23
70
High Risk
Desirable
Total/HDL ratio
7.5
2.1
Undesirable
Desirable
Systolic blood pressure
132
123
Pre-hypertensive, almost Stage 1 Hypertension
Pre-hypertensive, just above Normal
Diastolic blood pressure
72
61
Normal
Normal
BMI
34
32
Obese, had a strong pear-shaped figure
Obese, however, I'm very muscular and only appear Overweight
Waist Circumference
42
40
High Risk
Moderate Risk

I've clearly had significant improvements both with cholesterol and blood pressure. My continued cardio program along with my standing desk should continue lowering my blood pressure.

As for my weight/BMI... the progress has been very slow. Some recent studies have linked potato, processed foods, and alcohol as the biggest culprits in American diets to cause weight gain. The processed foods are being eliminated as I have taken to cooking dinner from scratch. The potato I'm just now starting to eliminate as best I can. Not sure about wanting to eliminate alcohol - I do really enjoy a beer (or maybe two) a few evenings after work a week. On the positive side, eating an extra serving of fresh fruit lead to weight loss. In addition to making dinner, I've also been buying and eating more fresh fruit. Hope it helps!